Friday, July 16, 2010

Simply Thai; Simply Wonderful!

Gini's Favorite Thai Meal: Panang, a Thai Red Curry Sauce
Thai restaurants are very numerous in Seattle, and when I first moved there in 2003, I fell in love with Thai food. My favorite Thai restaurant became Simply Thai one of which was located very near to where I was working.
A special favorite of mine became Panang, which could be ordered with chicken, beef, pork, seafood, or a medley of vegetables. This became my Friday evening treat, and even after eating everything on my plate, I would ask for the leftover panang sauce to take home. Over time, the wait staff would just bring me a 1/2 cup container of Panang sauce along with the check -- at no extra charge!
After moving back to New England, I experimented with various cookbook and on-line recipes. This one, from Rasa Malaysia, is very good. Although you'll need to make a trip to your local Asian grocery store for some of the ingredients, it's well worth the trip. Here's the Rasa recipe, I hope you enjoy!
Ingredients:
1 skinless and boneless chicken breast (or equivalent in vegetables, seafood, pork, beef, etc.)
1 tablespoon of oil
2-2 tablespoons of panang curry paste
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespooon fish sauce
1/2 cup fresh/frozen green peas
4-6 kaffir lime leaves (slightly bruised)
Method:
Heat up a pot or skillet with oil and add in the Panang curry paste. Do a quick stir until aromatic. To this add the chicken (other meats or fish) or vegetable medley, and blend well with the curry paste. Then add in the green peas, coconut milk, kaffir lime leaves, and other seasonings. Lower the heat to medium and let it simmer about 8 - 10 minutes. Serve with the steamed rice of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment