Thursday, July 22, 2010

Erin's Favorite Eggplant Parmesan


The other day a friend told me she had forgotten to eat all day. I find this simply incomprehensible. I can honestly say that never in my entire life have I forgotten to eat. Sure there have been days where I have been too busy to brush my teeth never mind grab lunch while taking care of a screaming newborn, or trying frantically to finish report cards or even setting up stations for a class that incidentally is usually on lunch break. But never ever, even in the course of those harrowing hours of no sleep, raging hormones and deafening screeching have I forgotten that my stomach was empty. Perhaps the problem is mine, perhaps it is not normal to think about food as often as I do – and for sure I like to indulge in it’s yumminess a bit too often.

Eggplant parmesan ranks up there with my favorite all-time foods –to think about and to indulge in! I love Italian restaurants – would love to go to Italy and check out all those beautiful sights. But in the meantime my mini Italian experiment involves eggplant parmesan and finding the best around. My current favorite comes from a tiny Italian restaurant in North Attleboro Square. Portabello Restaurant is adorable, filled with dark wood, dim lights, a small cozy bar, open kitchen and lots of atmosphere. The staff is friendly and the food divine. The eggplant I like best is actually served as an appetizer only and comes with the usual layers of fried goodness, savory sauce, and melted cheese but in this case is also served in a bed of pesto cream sauce that is simply heavenly. I order the appetizer portion as well as a small side of pasta as my dinner and dip the pasta, the bread I save from the basket and anything else I can (I would probably dip my fingers if I thought I could) into that pesto cream sauce….ummmmummmyum.

Portobello’s has a second location in South Boston and although I have never been to that one, the menu features the same delicious choices. I would highly recommend checking out one of their locations and testing their eggplant parmesan – I promise you will never forget it.



Okay so for the tech piece here, I did photos from a website, the restaurant link and an audio piece thanks to Len's advice - now I just have to find where the audio went when it "posted"

1 comment:

  1. Erin -- I love eggplant parmesan, but since I'm allergic to eggplant, I haven't been able to indulge. However, recently I found that if I peel the eggplant, I can pretty much tolerate it, so perhaps there will be eggplant parmesan in my future. I substitute sliced zucchini in most eggplant recipes, if that helps anyone with a similar allergy.

    ReplyDelete