Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Math Problem Solving Recipe






NOTE: Readers will need to forgive me, but when asked to blog on preparing my favorite dish I was in immediate and deep trouble. My cooking skills extend no further than turning burgers on the backyard grill (and even sometimes I get that wrong!). Not the makings of a very exciting blog, I am afraid. However, I did want to try my hand at some of the blogging techniques. So I took a strategy from one of my books, “Since, Because and Therefore I Know…Step by Step Writing Strategies Where Students Learn How to Explain Their Mathematical Thinking”, and used the idea of students writing a recipe to explain how they solved a story problem. Let’s call the problem “Matt’s Birthday Check”.

Between Matt’s parents and his grandparents, Matt got a big check for his birthday. He saved ½ of the money and spent the rest. He bought a sports magazine for $3.95, a used CD for $8.30, and a large Coke for $2.75. How much money had Matt received for his birthday?

And a group of fifth graders’ recipe.

1. Place the problem on a cutting board.

2. Examine it carefully. Determine what parts (data) are needed for the final dish. Using a sharp knife separate the critical pieces from the problem.

3. Take only the pieces $3.95, $8.30, and $2.75 and put them in the addition operation bowl. Add the necessary ingredients of addition facts, lined up decimals, and carrying. Stir until they are combined (the sum).

4. Take the sum from the addition bowl and place it in the multiplication operation bowl with a 2. Multiply the sum by 2. Make sure you have used the multiplication facts with a sprinkle of correct decimal usage.

5. Take the product out and put it in a small bowl. Label and serve your answer with a smile.

4 comments:

  1. I loved your creative twist, especially since you are also not a cook. But those other creative posts made me feel so guilty, that I thought I would do like you did and let everyone see the recipe I post in the first email of every class I teach:

    RECIPE FOR SUCCESS “CHOWDER”
    There are no major ingredients (assignments) to complete before class begins. There are, however, a few seasonings (very minor tasks) to complete. For best recipe results, please add:
    - 1 tsp. of watchfulness every other day for short e-mail announcements with details
    - 1 tbs. of non-procrastination juice (don’t put off going to MyLesley until the last minute, for sure!).
    - simmer until ready to serve…

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg I remember you as the Sentence Doctor, so you venture into all realms for students to understand! I enjoyed your creative twist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greg - love the math problem and particularly your photos of such - quite clever!
    Erin Aaron

    ReplyDelete